Thank you for visiting Congleton Cycling Club’s website. This page lets you know a bit about us and how to meet us “in the flesh” on or off the bike.
We are a medium sized club with a growing membership (124 at the 2016 AGM) who enjoy a wide range of cycling activity (including Club Runs, Time Trials, Road and Track Racing, Audax and Sportive Riding, Touring and Mountain Biking). We have recently introduced winter training sessions and are working towards formal accreditation as a coaching organisation.
We adhere to British Cycling’s Safeguarding Policies and Procedures. These may be viewed here
Our activities are discussed in the various sections of the site (Competition, Training, Leisure Cycling), but to give an overall view, let’s consider the way the club operates through a typical calendar year:
- Club Runs operate all year and go at the speed of the slowest rider. This is very relaxed and a great way to discover pleasant routes to ride around the region.
The current programme can be found here.
Weekly Sunday runs are about 60 miles long (shorter, if hilly) with a café stop at roughly half way. These start at the Rugby Club at 09:30.
Weekly Saturday runs start from the Unicorn pub, on Holmes Chapel Road at 10:00. They 30 miles or 45 miles long on alternate weeks. All have a cafe stop.
Why not join us on one of these relaxed social rides?
- Club Nights are held all year on Thursdays at 20:30. These are at Rugby Club except for the 1st Thursday of each month when we meet at the Beartown Tap, just round the corner from the Rugby Club. Why not drop in for a chat?
- Social events happen from time to time though the year, often on Thursdays as a more formal Club Night. The main event is the annual dinner and prize presentation in December on a Sunday.
- Reliability Trials start in February as an alternative to the Sunday Club Run (see Club Run List in the early months of the year) and increase in length and difficulty as fitness improves and the season approaches with one or two each month through to April.
- Tuesday evening Time Trials run every Tuesday from April to August with a mix of 10 and 25 mile routes, but starting with a 9 mile hilly ride and finishing on a Sunday in late September with a short hill climb. The start time depends on daylight, see Club TT Program. Since these are “entry on the night” events, why not turn up at the “HQ” 20-30 miutes before the start time and ride in one as a guest?
- Our members enter (and in the case of Audax, TT, and International Tours run) events of many cycling disciplines. We have awards and trophies for most of our activity from racing to most regular Club Night attendance (see Trophies). We are beginner friendly, family friendly and try to foster links into the community while promoting all disciplines of the sport and pastime of cycling.
- Make Contact: Why not email or phone our Chairman and Membership Enquiry contact, John Jervis?
We hope this gives you a flavour of Congleton Cycling Club and might tempt you to introduce yourself and tell us about your interest in cycling. Meanwhile, we wish you “Happy Cycling”.